Thursday, February 16, 2012


I have spent most of my life battling my weight.  I have tried diets that have not worked over the years and if much of the literature is correct, did more damage then good by losing weight and then regaining it.

I have been taking the steps and going through the process to have bariatric surgery.  I know that it is the best thing for me to do with my situation.  I wouldn't recommend it for everyone but there are some major benefits to it.

During the process of getting ready for this surgery I found out that I have severe obstructive sleep apnea - essentially I stop breathing A LOT during the night enough where it is extremely dangerous.  I ended up with a CPAP that makes sleeping easier.

However, I have found out recently, my son is afraid of the CPAP mask and when I wear it if he climbs into bed with me in the middle of the night he helps mommy - by taking it off of my face.  Super counter productive.  The program requires that I wear the CPAP a certain percentage of time, because lil man keeps taking it off my face it has skewed my percentage. (insert frowning face)

As part of the getting ready for surgery I had to also have an EKG of my heart.  The tech looks at me yesterday and says, "do you know you have a heart arrhythmia?" Yes, yes I did. We found that out one day while simply listening to my heart in the doctors office.

But the coup de grace of the entire thing:  now we are running blood work for PCOS.  Because MOST of my health problems may in fact be linked to having PCOS.

*forehead - palm - forehead - palm*

I want to stand on top of a large building and scream at the top of my lungs, "You mean to tell me that if we had known that I had PCOS when I was in my 20s then some if not all of what has gone wrong in the last five years health-wise could have been avoided?!?!?"


No comments:

Post a Comment